Thursday, October 22, 2009
Twice Baked Potatoes
I haven't had many twice baked potatoes in my life but I have always been fond of them. Unfortunately for me now, I think they are traditionally full of cheese and not so healthy. I have been wanting to make a healthy version for awhile now and so I finally decided to just give it a try.
My recipe was based loosely on the recipe in Vegan Vittles. I picked up a copy of that cookbook from the library but I don't think I will make anything else from it. Many of the recipes were fake-meat heavy and that isn't how we roll here in Zoey's Kitchen.
Twice Baked Potatoes
1 baking potato
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 sprinkle of garlic powder
1 sprinkle of black pepper
1/4 cup plain non-dairy milk
1 sprinkle of paprika (optional)
1. Prick the potato with a fork and bake in the oven for about 1 hour at 350 degrees. (I made big slices with a knife and this backfired- learn from my mistakes and use a fork)
2. Remove the potato from the oven and slice in half.
3. Carefully scoop out the inside of the potato into a bowl.
4. Add all ingredients except the paprika to the potato insides and start mashing/ mixing.
5. Scoop the mixture back into the potato shells and sprinkle with paprika (if using)
6. Bake the potatoes at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
7. At the end, you can turn the broiler on for a few minutes for a crispier potato top.
8. Enjoy! It tasted a lot like garlic mashed potatoes inside a potato shell which was pretty great in my book.
I made these in part to share with Mr. Zoey when he got home from work yesterday. I asked him which half he wanted and he told me that he doesn't like twice baked potatoes. Has he ever had them? No.
Whatever, that means more for me. As I was eating, he asked for a taste and told me that he thought it was okay. But then, tonight at Whole Foods he added two baked potatoes to our basket and asked if it was possible to double the recipe I made so that he could have a whole potato next time. I think that means he liked it!