Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Susan over at Fat Free Vegan is having a special contest for Valentine's Day on her blog and as soon as I saw the theme I was excited for it. Her contest is called Vegetable Love and the idea is to post a vegan low fat recipe that uses vegetables. Well, I knew right away that Zoey's dad and I would be making a dish that we lovingly refer to as "Valentine Surprise".
Zoey's dad has always impressed me with his culinary skills and our first Valentine's Day together he surprised me by making dinner all by himself. It was his first vegan meal that he made by himself and we still love it today. It's an easy dish with simple flavors, but something magical happens when they all come together.
Valentine Surprise Burritos
1 can vegetarian refried beans (or you can make your own)
2 fresh bell peppers (we used red and orange for the Valentine theme)
1/2 can black olives
1/2 jar of salsa
1. In our house we let Zoey sniff things out first:
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Arrange 3 tortillas on the bottom of a square glass baking dish.
4. Use 1/2 the refried beans and spread it evenly among the 3 tortillas. Add 1/2 the peppers and olives as seen here:
5. Add some salsa to each burrito and then roll the tops of the tortillas over the filling so that you can create another layer.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 for a second layer (reserving some peppers and olives for the top).
7. Flip the tortillas over as seen here so that you have an almost flat surface on top:
8. Add salsa on top to cover the tortillas (this prevents the tortillas from burning).
9. Sprinkle the remaining peppers and olives on top.
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes:
Mmmmm... here it is on it's way out of the oven. Since we made this early for the contest, I am hoping that we will get to have it again on Valentine's Day.
Oh and in pregnancy news: tomorrow we are having an ultrasound to hopefully find out the sex of our first baby. We are so excited!